Areas of expertise: Outdoor programming and leadership, adventure education, youth development, recreation land management, outreach & community engagement, as well as constraints and barriers to visiting parks and public lands. An authority on race, culture and gender issues in parks and outdoor recreation.
Curriculum Vitae; One-page Bio
I will be on sabbatical during the fall of 2016 working with the National Parks Conservation Association in DC on their Find Your Voice initiative. I'll be back to SFSU in January 2017 ~ "Find Your Voice is an initiative to educate, engage and empower new national park advocates to ensure America's favorite places continue to thrive into their next century"
" ... I have to say, everyone you have ever introduced me to has been spot on – brilliant!! Thank you so much for all that wonderful connectivity.
NPCA is a better place because of you…"
SF State - Starting Jan. 2017: I'll be the new Faculty Director of the Institute for Civic and Community Engagement
- National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Gateway Partner Program Liaison
- Environmental Studies Program: Affiliate Faculty
- Pacific Leadership Institute (PLI): Director. Proud to serve over 10,000 participants annually!
- CHSS Service Task Force (2014-cur)
- Faculty Achievement for Excellence in Service Award, Nominee (2014)
- Undergraduate Assessment: Coordinator, Dept of Recreation, Parks, & Tourism (2005-14)
(RPT Assessment Report Submitted for AY13)
- Academic Program Review Committee (2012-13)
- Candlestick Point State Recreation Area & Yosemite Slough, Advisory Committee, 2015- current
- California Outdoor Engagement Coalition, Advisory Board Member, 2015-current
- California Parks Now - Coalition member, 2015-current
- Diverse Environmental Leaders, National Speakers Bureau - 2014-current
- GirlVentures - Advisory Council Member, 2005-current
- Center for Park Management (Natl Parks Conservation Assoc), Advisory Council, 2012-2015
National Park Service, Webcast on Diversity, 11/4/14. "It was a great conversation and hopefully brought light to those outside the NPS on the work that we are ALL doing within NPS and with our partners."
~Vanessa M. Torres, National Capital Regional Office, Youth and Special Initiatives Coordinator.
- Academy of Leisure Sciences
- Association for Experiential Education
- CA Roundtable on Recreation, Parks & Tourism
- CA Teachers Association
- International Women's Leadership Association
- National Recreation & Park Association
- North American Association for Environmental Education