Areas of expertise: Outdoor programming and leadership, adventure education, youth development, recreation land management, outreach & community engagement, as well as constraints and barriers to visiting parks and public lands. An authority on race, culture and gender issues in parks and outdoor recreation.
Curriculum Vitae; One-page Bio
- I will be on sabbatical during the fall of 2016 working with the National Parks Conservation Association in DC on their Find Your Voice campaign. I'll be back to SFSU in January 2017
SF State - Starting Jan. 2017: I'll be the new Faculty Director of the Institute for Civic and Community Engagement
- National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Gateway Partner Program Liaison
- Environmental Studies Program: Affiliate Faculty
- Pacific Leadership Institute (PLI): Director. Celebrating 35 yrs of service to the community in 2015!
- CHSS Service Task Force (2014-cur)
- Faculty Achievement for Excellence in Service Award, Nominee (2014)
- Undergraduate Assessment: Coordinator, Dept of Recreation, Parks, & Tourism (2005-14)
(RPT Assessment Report Submitted for AY13)
- Academic Program Review Committee (2012-13)
- Candlestick Point State Recreation Area & Yosemite Slough, Advisory Committee, 2015- current
- California Parks Now - Coalition member, 2015-current
- Diverse Environmental Leaders, National Speakers Bureau - 2014-current
- GirlVentures - Advisory Council Member, 2005-current
- Center for Park Management (Natl Parks Conservation Assoc), Advisory Council, 2012-2015
- International Women's Leadership Association, "Woman of Outstanding Leadership Award" - 2015
National Park Service, Webcast on Diversity, 11/4/14. "It was a great conversation and hopefully brought light to those outside the NPS on the work that we are ALL doing within NPS and with our partners."
~Vanessa M. Torres, National Capital Regional Office, Youth and Special Initiatives Coordinator.
- Academy of Leisure Sciences
- Association for Experiential Education
- CA Roundtable on Recreation, Parks & Tourism
- CA Teachers Association
- International Women's Leadership Association
- National Recreation & Park Association
- North American Association for Environmental Education