Areas of expertise: Outdoor programming and leadership, adventure education, youth development, recreation land management, outreach & community engagement, as well as constraints and barriers to visiting parks and public lands. An authority on race, culture and gender issues in parks and outdoor recreation.
Curriculum Vitae; One-page Bio
- RPT 300 - Leadership in Recreation, Parks, & Tourism
- RPT/ENVS 640 - Recreational Use of National Parks & Protected Areas
- RPT 690 - Internship Supervision
- Faculty Achievement for Excellence in Service Award, Nominee, 2014
- CHSS Service Task Force (2014-2015) - Mission/guidling principles in progress
- Pacific Leadership Institute (PLI): Director (2005-cur). Celebrating 35 yrs of service to the community in 2015!
- National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Gateway Partner Program Liaison
- Environmental Studies Program: Affiliate Faculty (2006-cur)
- Academic Program Review Committee (2012-2013)
- Undergraduate Assessment: Coordinator, Dept of Recreation, Parks, & Tourism
(RPT Assessment Report Submitted for AY13)
- Healthy Parks/Healthy People, Bay Area, Advisory Council for BVHP - 2012-curent
- The Center for Park Management (NPCA), Advisory Council - 2012-current
- GirlVentures - Advisory Council Member, 2005-current
- National Parks Promotion Council - Research Committee Co-Chair, 2010-2013
- The Nature Conservancy, National Youth Poll, Steering Committee - 2011
National Park Service, Webcast on Diversity, 11/4/14. "It was a great conversation and hopefully brought light to those outside the NPS on the work that we are ALL doing within NPS and with our partners."
~Vanessa M. Torres, National Capital Regional Office, Youth and Special Initiatives Coordinator.
- Academy of Leisure Sciences
- American Association of University Women
- Association for Experiential Education
- CA Association for Environmental & Outdoor Education
- CA Roundtable on Recreation, Parks & Tourism
- CA Teachers Association
- International Association for Society & Natural Resources
- National Recreation & Park Association
- North American Association for Environmental Education