Playing volleyball in Halabja, Kurdistan region of Iraq (2011)
Year Celebrations, Diyarbakır,
Turkey. March 2004.
View of Hasankeyf, Turkey, June 2006.
- PLSI250 Intro to Comparative Politics
- PLSI 410 Politics of the Middle East & N. Africa
- PLSI 420 State-Society Relations of the MENA
- PLSI/SOC 424 Social Movements
- PLSI 760 Comparative Politics graduate seminar
- PLSI 765 Social Movements in the Islamic world
Selected Publications & Research
Activists in Office: Kurdish Politics and Protest in Turkey (Seattle: Univ. of Washington Press, 2010).
Negotiating Political Power in Turkey: Breaking Up the Party, ed. by Elise Massicard and Nicole F. Watts (London: Routledge, Dec 2012)
- 2014. “Democracy and Self-Determination in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq,” in Conflict, Democratization, and the Kurds in the Middle East, ed. David Romano and Mehmet Gurses (Palgrave MacMillan): 141-170.
- 2014. "State-Society Relations and Protest in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq," in The Middle East in the World: An Introduction, ed. by Lucia Volk (New York: ME Sharpe).
- "Re-thinking Kurdish-State Relations in Turkey," in The Everyday Life of the State: A State in Society Approach, ed. by Adam White (Seattle: Univ. of Washington Press, 2013)
- "The Role of Symbolic Capital in
Protest: State-Society Relations and the Destruction of the Halabja Martyrs Monument in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq", Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa and the Middle East, Volume 32, Number 1, 2012, pp. 70-85
- "The Missing Moderate: Legitimacy
Resources and pro-Kurdish Party Politics in Turkey," in:
The Kurdish Policy Imperative, ed. by Robert Lowe and Gareth
Stansfield (London: Chatham House, 2010)
State-Society Dynamics in Turkey's Kurdish Southeast," European Journal of Turkish Studies 10 (2009)
- "Towards Kurdish Distinctiveness
in Electoral Politics: The 1977 Elections in Diyarbakir" (with Gilles Dorronsoro),
International Journal of Middle East Studies
41:3 (August 2009): 457-478, published by Cambridge University Press
- “Silence and Voice: Turkish Policies and Kurdish Resistance in the
mid-20th century,” in The Evolution of Kurdish
Nationalism, ed. Mohammed Ahmed and Michael
Gunter (Costa Mesa, CA: Mazda Press, 2007).
in Office: Pro-Kurdish Contentious Politics in Turkey.”
Ethnopolitics 5:2 (June 2006)
- "Institutionalizing Virtual Kurdistan West:
Transnational Networks and Ethnic Contention in International
Affairs," in Boundaries and Belonging: States and Societies in
the Struggle to Shape Identities and Local Practices, ed. by
Joel Migdal (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004)
- “Relocating Dersim:
Turkish State-Building and Kurdish Resistance, 1931-1938,” New
Perspectives on Turkey 23 (Fall 2000): 5-30.
- “Allies and Enemies:
Pro-Kurdish Parties in Turkish Politics, 1990-1994,” International Journal of Middle East Studies
31:4 (November 1999): 631-656.
Video and Photo Galleries