- 1978 PhD University of Chicago, Political Science
- 1967 MA University of California at Los Angeles,
- 1963 BA Smith College, Magna cum Laude. Major: religion
SUMMARY OF PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT
San Francisco State University
- 1974-present Urban Studies Program, Professor
- 1980-present Masters in Public Administration Program,
Prior teaching experience
- 1970 University of Chicago, Lecturer, Political Science
- 1970 DePaul University, Lecturer, Political Science
- 1963-65 Peace Corps, Ghana, secondary school math and
ACADEMIC HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2000 Sabbatical Leave, SFSU
- 1993 Sabbatical Leave, SFSU
- 1988 MPPPA award, SFSU
- 1985 Research Fellow, School of BSS, SFSU
- 1981 Sabbatical Leave, SFSU
- 1979 Affirmative Action Faculty Development Grant, SFSU
- 1970 Ford Foundation Ethnic Studies Dissertation Grant
- 1969 Fellowship, University of Chicago
- 1968 Scholarship, University of Chicago
- 1967 Departmental Research Assistantship in Political
- University of California at Los Angeles (declined)
- 1963 BA Magna cum Laude, Smith College
AREAS OF PROFESSIONAL SPECIALIZATION
- Health policy, social policy
- American urban development, urban futures
- Policy-making and implementation in the United States
- Field-based internships
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
- "Unionizing Midwifery in California." in THE
AMERICAN WAY OF BIRTH, edited by Pamela S. Eakins. Philadelphia: Temple University Press,
- "Organization or Disruption? Strategic Options for
Marginal Groups: The Case of the Chicago Indian Village." in SOCIAL MOVEMENTS OF THE
SIXTIES AND SEVENTIES, edited by Jo Freeman. New York: Longmans, 1983
- Coalition for the Medical Rights of Women. EVERY WOMAN'S
GUIDE TO TESTS DURING PREGNANCY. San Francisco: Coalition for the Medical Rights of Women,
1986. Distributors: Educational Programs Associates, Campbell, CA.
- with O'Reilly, Wenda Brewster, Eakins, Pamela S., and
Mann, Rosemary. "Reflections on the Malpractice Insurance Crisis: Impact on Choice
and Safety in Childbirth." July 1989.
- "Restoring Midwifery: A Political Economic
Analysis." October 1987.
Papers and invited presentations (partial list)
- "From Practice to Theory: Strategies for Encouraging
Analytic Learning about Concrete Internship Experience." Presented at the Annual
Meeting of the American Political Science Association, New York Hilton, September 1-4,
1994. (Requested for inclusion in ERIC Clearinghouse for Social Studies/Social Science
- "Midwives as Providers for Inner-City Women:
Critical Policy Issues for the 1990s." Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Urban
Affairs Association, New Orleans, March 2-5, 1994.
- "Community and University Linkages." The
SFSUnet experience. Presented at the CSU Institute for Teaching and Learning. San Jose,
CA: October 16-17, 1993. Health care reform 1994: presentations and guest lectures at
forums and classes at SFSU
- "California Alternative Birthing Methods Study:
Summary of Findings and Proposed Legislation." California Association of Freestanding
Birth Centers, Annual Meeting, San Francisco, October 1986.
- "Delivering Good Care: The Oakland Midwives'
Struggle." McGann Women and Health Series, Stanford University, May 1986.
- "Women and Health Policy." Women's Health and
Healing Summer Institute, University of California at San Francisco. June, 1986.
- "Strategies for the Institutionalization of
Midwifery Care: Lessons from the Highland Midwife Service." Presented at the Annual
Meeting of the Western Political Science Assocation, Las Vegas, 1985.
- "The Resurgence of Midwifery: Strategies for
Increasing Women's Power in Childbirth." Panel on Women: Power and
Participation." Northern California Political Science Association, May 1984.
Vote Health Coalition
- Member, 1994-present.
- Spokesperson, Measue E Campaign, 1996
- Speaker, California Health Security (Prop 186, single
payer) campaign, 1994
Bateman Neighborhood Association
- Steering Committee, Member, 1974-84, 1996-present.
- Hospital Review Committee, 1996-present. Oversight
regarding expansion of Alta Bates Medical Center.
- I-80 Health Access Corridor planning committee,
1997-present. Review of impact of East Bay hospital consolidations and closures on access
to health care.
Coalition for the Medical Rights of Women
- Board member, Coalition for the Medical Rights of Women,
- Chair, Perinatal Health Rights Committee, 1984-1987.
Produced EVERY WOMAN'S GUIDE TO TESTS DURING PREGNANCY, 1986. 44 pp. Distributed by
Educational Programs Associates, , Campbell, CA.
- Member, Perinatal Health Rights Committee, 1982-1987.
Alternative Birthing Methods Study, Advisory Committee 1985-86.
- Member, Advisory Committee. Study mandated by the
California legislature. Reviewed testimony from 700 people and prepared a 300-page report.
Highland Midwife Service
Urban Studies Program
- Director, 1994--1997, 1985-1987, 1978-1981
- Chair, Hiring Committee, 1990-1991.
- Faculty advisor, URBAN ACTION: 1983-1985, 1987-1989,
1991-1992, 1992-1993. An annual student-produced journal
- Revision of URBAN STUDIES ALUMNI DIRECTORY, 1987, 1989,
Masters in Public Administration Program
- Member, program faculty, 1980-present.
- HRTP committee, chair, 1994; member 1987-present,
- Member, Curriculum committee, 1991-present.
School of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Member, BSS Planning Committee, 1994, 1987-1990
- Member, Economics/Labor Studies Retention Committee,
- Chair, BSS Space Committee, 1987-1990
- Office of Community Service Learning: Faculty advisor,
- Steering Committee, 1996-present.
- Service Learning Colloquium 1995-1996.
- SFSUnet Executive Committee, 1991-present.
- Externally funded computer conferencing project linking
community needs and university
- Forum on Health Care Reform, April 26 1994. Chair,
- Member, Bay Area Homelessness Program, Steering
- Member, Field-Based Learning Council, 1982-1993.
- Member, Instructionally-Related Activities Board, 1989
- Member, Urban Grant University Task Force, 1980-81.
This page is designed and published by Marianna Marysheva,
an Urban Studies student at SFSU